[ECOS] interrupts disabled during DSRs on ARM

Andrew Parlane andrewp@carallon.com
Fri Nov 1 16:30:00 GMT 2013

Hi,

Another question regarding the ARM interrupt handling code.

When an IRQ occurs we jump to IRQ: in hal\arm\arch\current\src\vectors.s
we save the previous state, potentially switch stack, take the scheduler
lock, find the IRQ number, call the ISR, and then call interrupt_end.

interrupt_end() in kernel\current\src\intr\intr.cxx queues up the DSR if
asked to, and then unlocks the scheduler. As long as the scheduler
wasn't locked before the IRQ, this causes the scheduler to call any DSRs
that are queued up. This happens in call_pending_DSRs_inner() in the
same file. We disable interrupts, get the pointer to the DSR to call,
restore interrupts and call the DSR.

In the case I've been describing we are still in the IRQ handler, and as
such the interrupts are disabled throughout the entirety of this, and
hence disabled in the DSR.

Looking at: http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-1.3.1/ref/ecos-ref.c.html in
the first paragraph it states: "This separation explicitly allows for
the DSRs to be run with interrupts enabled, thus allowing other
potentially higher priority interrupts to occur and be processed while
processing a lower priority interrupt."

Am I missing something here?

Any comments would be welcome.
Andrew Parlane