[ECOS] Re: migration from win2k to win7

Christopher Biessener christopherpb@voomtech.com
Thu Feb 28 18:25:00 GMT 2013

When I wrote my first treatise I was a 100% greenhorn when it came to
eCos and cross-compilers.  Now that I've had some time to do more
digging/research, and with the hint provided by Mr. Edwards (thank you,
btw) that I shouldn't have tried to link with a libgcc built for i686,
I've taken a step or two forward in the Win7 build environment.

In keeping with the mantra, "Change as little as possible," my first
stab was to build my own toolchain since eCosCentric does not allow
direct download of the toolchains they have built.  I followed the
instructions on http://ecos.sourceware.org/build-toolchain.html only
updating the packages for gcc 4.5.3 (since Cygwin 1.7 comes with gcc 4.5.3).
I downloaded:
     * binutils-2.22
     * gcc-core-4.5.3 for almost
     * gcc-g++-4.5.3
     * insight-6.1
     * newlib-1.19.0
I have to admit I'm a little confused since the eCos.org instructions do
not tell the user to do anything with insight or newlib after
downloading them.
Anyway, I followed the directions down to where I'm 'make'ing gcc. The
front part of the make finds all the header files and succeeds. When it
gets to libiberty the configure in that directory no longer finds the
ANSI header files.  That script expects to find them in
/gnutools/include.  This directory does not yet exist.  The grand
makefile for whatever reason has not created it yet.  Why???  Why does a
product that's existed for almost 2 years fail to build itself?

In further reading of the eCos.ord website I saw that eCos3 will allow
the download of the eCosCentric toolchains.  So I cloned my Win7 drive,
uninstalled eCos 1.3.1, then installed eCos 3.0.  The eCos3 Configurator
does not include our Atmel ARM7 processor.  So I'm stuck.

Please point me in the proper direction to continue making progress.

Thank you,

Christopher Biessener
Voom Technologies, Inc.

BTW, to answer Mr. Edwards question about the 4.6.0 toolchain, yes,
Macraigor Systems makes the hardware/software we use to program our
devices over the JTAG.