[ECOS] Re: dynamic loader in eCos over MIPS

John Dallaway john@dallaway.org.uk
Tue May 31 09:45:00 GMT 2011

Hi Elad

Elad Yosef wrote:

> I have MIPS16 eCos application and I want to split my code between RAM
> and flash.
>
> My flash is memory mapped for CPU IO so no driver need for reading it,
> this allows me to run code directly from flash.
>
> Since my application has several static libraries I want to place one
> of the them in the flash.
> I can easily change it to be shared object.
>
> I want the eCos application to execute the library from the flash,
> means the loader only needs to link it, without re-allocating it.
>
> My Questions are:
> Can it be done?
> How stable the loader in eCos?
> Does eCos loader works well with MIPS?

It is probably better to link statically whenever possible in order to
take advantage of selective linking to reduce memory footprint. You will
need to adapt your linker script definitions (*.ld) and layout (*.ldi)
to gather some of your ".text" input sections to flash and some to RAM.
You can do this on a per-archive (*.a) basis:

http://sourceware.org/binutils/docs-2.21/ld/Input-Section-Basics.html#Input-Section-Basics

I hope this helps...

John Dallaway
eCos maintainer