[ECOS] Re: Why does sending multicast UDP require a gateway?

Andrew Lunn andrew@lunn.ch
Wed Mar 30 15:00:00 GMT 2011

> It's being sent via a socket that's bound to a specific interface, so
> I wouldn't think that would be a problem.

Ah, O.K.

Maybe try it anyway?

> I can see that if you're sending from an unbound socket, you might
> want a way to specify which interface to use for sending multicast
> packets.  But without such a route, the only thing that makes sense to
> me is "send it out all of them".

And on a multi homed machine that might result in the group receiving
two copies of the packet when both multicast routers pick it up and
send to the RP.

     Andrew