[ECOS] Re: HOWTO: eCos on QEMU PC emulator

Drasko DRASKOVIC drasko.draskovic@gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 17:11:00 GMT 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 3:20 PM, Grant Edwards
<grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2011-03-24, Drasko DRASKOVIC <drasko.draskovic@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Several months ago I was looking for a way to run eCos and above all
>> RedBoot on Qemu-ARM. None of the boards supported by eCos seems to be
>> present in qemu, and vice versa.
>
> I looked into that a year or two back and came to the same conclusion.
> It probably woldn't be hard to port eCos to one of the boards that is
> supported by Qemu, but I didn't see much point in that when it runs on
> the 386 Qemu target.

Point is that writing eCos applications is relatively easy task
comparing to low-level porting.
Any student can use eCos native Linux synthetic target
(http://ecos.sourceware.org/ecos/boards/linuxsynth.html) and write
eCos application for PC.

However, when you want to study kernel internals, to change boot code
and HAL, to do low-level system programming you are obliged to have
real hardware. And that sucks with eCos - because there are no good
emulators nor simulators for the worlds most popular architectures
like ARM or MIPS.

You take UBoot, Linux or any other bigger similar project - works out
of the box with qemu-system-XXX, and it is a pleasure and a joy to
learn. It would be great if we could have something like this with
eCos.

BR,
Drasko