[ECOS] Re: Development environment under Windows without cygwin?

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards@gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 07:15:00 GMT 2011

On 2011-03-23, Michael Bergandi <mbergandi@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It looks like that there is no way beside linux, when I want to avoid
>> cygwin.
>> In principle, I have no aversions regarding linux, but I never worked with
>> and I am a little afraid about additional effort.
>
> Ubuntu is about as easy as it gets when it comes to diving into Linux.
> You may want to stick with the Long Term Support (LTS) versions for
> obvious reasons.
>
> Once I started doing embedded development in Linux and realized how
> much more power, versatility, productivity I had there, I started to
> wonder why anyone would ever use Windows.

I've been doing embedded development under Unix/Linux since 1983, and
have been wondering why anybody bothers with Windows since I first
tried using it 1990.  Every few years, events conspire to force me to
try using Windows for embedded development, and I find it's still
ill-suited to the task..

> I think you will find that the effort you spend will pay huge
> dividends in the long run.

Obviously I concur. :)

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Kids, don't gross me
                                  at               off ... "Adventures with