[ECOS] Redboot responds to ICMP echo when it shouldn't.

Gary Thomas gary@mlbassoc.com
Mon Mar 21 21:36:00 GMT 2011

On 03/21/2011 02:21 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> While testing my rewrite of Redboot DHCP support, I've noticed that
> Redboots "ping" support is also broken.  Redboot responds to ICMP echo
> requests that it shouldn't.
>
> Redboot will respond to ICMP echo requests _before_ it has received an
> IP address from the BOOTP/DHCP server.  The destination IP address in
> the ICMP echo packet _does_not_match_ Redboot's IP address, but it
> responds anyway with a source IP address of 0.0.0.0.
>
> Is this behavior intentional?

Not as far as I know.

How are those packets even being received?  Are they going to a broadcast
address (IP or ESA)?  Normally incoming packets are filtered by ESA by
the network driver before they get pushed up the stack and processed.

You might find that RedBoot replies to [some, maybe all] packets which
somehow match it's ESA, but not IP address as well.