[ECOS] Re: tiny webserver - CGI, SSI directive, and identification

John Mills johnmills@speakeasy.net
Tue Sep 7 14:00:00 GMT 2010

All -

I'm glad to see this topic -- perhaps it will stir up some good
discussion.

I added and extended the GoAhead web server in an eCos-based commercial
embedded product. Specifically, I added binary POST uploads from web
browsers and set up openSSL server access - other folks have done both and
most of the patches are available with a bit of web searching.

I would not go that route again. My tradeoff would be:

In favor:
  Code available; eCos and Linux ports both exist; public mailing list
exists. I was able to get assistance from list members, and I was able to
debug much of my code with the Linux build which was much faster and
provided a richer tool set than working strictly on my embedded target.
The GA server has in fact worked for us, but you have to be very careful
how you handle patches and modifications if you are under the 'free use'
(not really 'free source') license.

Against:
  Problematic license; never _ever_ any acknowledgement from GoAhead to our
inquiries, that we had met our license obligations with my submittal of
patch tarballs, screen shots, and memos, or even what they would want if
we were to consider a paid license[!]; low level of user mail-list
activity; little visibility or discussion of discovered vulnerabilities
and/or remedies (and the license issue could bite if you have to fix
something within the GA server that relates to the commercial part of your
application). I would describe this product[?] as a "loss leader" to get
prospective customers interested in the company.

Unknown Impact:
  Paid support is apparently avaliable from a software house designated by
GoAhead. I didn't contact them so I can't speak to this issue, but it was
one of M. Le Guillou's original questions.

Data Point:
  RTEMS recently removed the GoAhead server from their repertoire ("Tree
dead at the top", i.e., GoAhead non-responsive), though I don't know if
the GA sources were ever hosted in the RTEMS tree.

Alternatives:
  I have used the Cirrus/Arm embedded Linux from Technologic Systems which
includes a port of Apache; this must mean there is a fairly tight version
that can be built. That might be worth a look. I don't know what RTEMS
finally selected for inclusion.

Another time I would look closely at the ARM/Apache port.

  - John Mills