[ECOS] Re: Best location of the linker scripts

John Dallaway john@dallaway.org.uk
Mon Feb 22 12:08:00 GMT 2010

Hi Martin

Martin Laabs wrote:

> I'm currenly porting eCos to the AT91SAM9260 processor and Olimex
> evaluation board. I work on the code from Evgeniy Dushisto.
> Now he placed the linker scripts into the processor package. Its the
> same the AT91SAM7 ports in the current cvs repository. The linker
> scripts are all in the processor package.
> From my intention the linker script belongs to the specific board
> package since (at most) every board need its own configuration.
> The same should apply to the initialization of the memory at startup.
> However - this could be made in a universal way at the processor package
> with many defines in the board package. (But I wouldn't prefer that.)
>
> Whats the opinion of the eCos gurus to that placement question?

Linker script fragments usually belong in the platform HAL since they
describe board-specific memory layouts. There can be exceptions for
processors with on-chip memory and no external memory bus where there is
no scope for modifying the memory layout (eg AT91SAM7).

The general rule is to look at the HAL support for several other
variants and boards and follow the same pattern.

> PS: Why is the code of Evgeniy Dushisto no in the cvs repository till
> now? As long as I know he made the licensing stuff.

There is quite a backlog of patches waiting for review at present.
Sometimes the maintainer(s) best positioned to review a particular patch
can find it difficult to allocate the necessary time. Fortunately, we
have two new maintainers on board and I hope we can start to reduce the
backlog.

John Dallaway
eCos maintainer