[ECOS] idle thread not required

Peter Niebert peter@niebert.com
Fri Feb 5 08:06:00 GMT 2010

The idle thread in eCOS as in most systems puts the processor in a low
energy mode / sleep mode, only to wake up at the next
interrupt.

In theory, you could achieve the same effect in  a scheduler without
an idle thread, but that would imply that the scheduler would
have to distinguish between no thread ready (idle) and some thread
ready. The idle thread, always ready, is a smart convenience
allowing to simplify the code of schedulers.

You do not want to get rid of it :-)