[ECOS] Re: What's the cheapest develpment h/w for eCos?

Waskita Adijarto waszbulk@hq.ee.itb.ac.id
Wed Sep 30 04:11:00 GMT 2009

Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2009-09-27, graham_k <nabble@keellings.com> wrote:
>

>> I'm on a tight budget. I don't have any projects in mind, I
>> just want to do some "tyre kicking" with eCos.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a really inexpensive kit and maybe even
>> tell me where to order it?
>>

> You can run eCos on generic PC hardware, so any of the free
> IA32 VMs will work.  I've run it on Qemu without any problems.
> There's also a synthetic Linux target that doesn't cost
> anything.
>
> As for cheap hardware, I'd probably look at the ARM development
> boards from olimex.com or similar.  IIRC there are eCos ports
> to some of the Cirrus, Philips, and Atmel parts on those
> boards.

A while ago I checked price of ARM-based board in
http://ecos.sourceware.org/hardware.html.  Most ARM-based board in that
list is already obsolete.
The cheapest ARM-based board I could  find  is Atmel AT91SAM7S
<http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/devices.asp?family_id=605#1586> ,
around USD 100 in digikey.

Olimex boards are not on that list some are eCos compatible:  -
http://www.olimex.com/dev/lpc-h2294.html  "Native hardware support by
eCOS the anonymous eCos CVS tree has this target inside 'olpch2294' eCos
target", priced at EUR 70.95

Those boards have no ethernet ports.

Hope it helps,

-w-