[ECOS] Re: What's the process on switching version control system for eCos?

Jonathan Larmour jifl@jifvik.org
Fri Sep 25 00:28:00 GMT 2009

Sergei Organov wrote:
> Alex Schuilenburg <alexs@ecoscentric.com> writes:
>
>>Sergei Organov wrote on 2009-09-22 15:59:
>>
>>>Øyvind Harboe <oyvind.harboe@zylin.com> writes:
>>>[...]
>>>IMHO, eCos is not that big to worry about the size of the repository,
>>>provided huge binary images are not put into the repository.
>>>

>>ROTFLMAO!!!
>>
>>Seen ecos-images?!?!?
>

> That's what I meant. They shouldn't be there in the eCos source code
> repository, be it CVS or anything else. Someone who needs them (though I
> doubt anybody does) should be able to download them separately.

Given their original raison d'etre it made sense at the time - known good
images appropriate (more or less) to the source code at a particular date,
and put under version control.

But they have not been kept up-to-date, and the ones there are pretty much
all for obsolete platforms. I would have no objections for a new DRCS
leaving them out. We will always have the original CVS sitting around for
archaeology, although I'd doubt we'd ever touch them!

Even if someone was willing to (somehow) make a new set of known-good
images for current platforms, that should live in a separate repo,
precisely to allow DRCS's to function sensibly.

>>I say closer because, rather than doing a faithful CVS convertion, I am
>>fixing problems like files not actually being tagged as part of a
>>release (i.e cvs co -r <tag>) despite existing in the repo on a branch
>>when the tag was made and being shipped with the release and others
>>previously mentions.  I have had to become a CVS expert to detect and
>>fix most of these problems and now HATE CVS with such a passion you
>>would not believe.
>

> I've tried to convert a few CVS repositories to git, so I do know what
> you are talking about. You have my sympathies!

I think the eCos repository has more challenges than usual due to various
tricks played with over the years. I'll be glad to see the back of the
ecos-net modules hack.