[ECOS] Re: connect ethernet cable at run-time

Jonathan Larmour jifl@jifvik.org
Thu Sep 24 16:26:00 GMT 2009

Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2009-09-24, Lars Dahlin <haraxidix@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I want to be able to connect the ethernet cable and it
>>shouldn't be necesary to restart ecos.
>

> We've been using eCos for 10 years, and we've never found it
> necessary to restart eCos (or the network stack, or anything
> else) when the Ethernet link goes down/up.
>

>>As far as I know (please correct me if i'm wrong) incoming ip
>>and arp requests are handled by the thread cyg_netint. It
>>seems that this thread is put to sleep if the network cable is
>>not connected.
>

> Again, I've never seen that.  We connect/disconnect Ethernet
> cables all the time, and never have to restart anything.
>
> We do have code in our Ethernet drivers that makes sure that
> the Ethernet MAC duplex setting is changed to match the PHY's
> negotiation results when a cable is plugged in, but I don't
> think that has anything to do with what you're talking about.

I think the issue may be that if you start the device with it
disconnected, nothing _automatically_ will bring the interface up using
BOOTP/DHCP. Static IP should probably be ok. That's a different scenario
to being up and then being disconnected and reconnected as the interface
already has an IP address (as long as it's reconnected within the DHCP
lease expiry time).

I believe you should just be able to call init_all_network_interfaces()
again, when your PHY spots the cable is inserted. If you don't have an
interrupt for your PHY to detect that, you'll need to have a thread poll
it. Note that init_all_network_interfaces needs to be run from a thread
context in any case, not an ISR or DSR context.