[ECOS] Eclipse support for git

Jonathan Larmour jifl@jifvik.org
Tue Sep 22 20:08:00 GMT 2009

Alex Schuilenburg wrote:
> Øyvind Harboe wrote on 2009-09-22 09:33:
>
>>I think it is important when choosing the next version control
>>system to think about whether we're getting onto the right
>>train.
>>
>>The support today is important, yes, but what happens
>>2-3 years from now?

I think in all cases, we should look at the state now. They are all
deployed in high profile projects and aren't going away soon. Due to their
better handling of metadata (compared to CVS certainly) it's also much
more feasible to swap between them, as many people do. We absolutely want
to make a good choice, but practically speaking this is not truthfully a
"forever" decision. Oh oops, yes Alex says that too.

> https://ldn.linuxfoundation.org/article/dvcs-roundup-one-system-rule-them-all-part-2
>
> Namely:
> If you really want a direct recommendation, it would be thus: download
> Git and Mercurial, then throw dice. Personally I like the “it just
> works” approach of Mercurial a bit better, and the fact that it is
> written in Python. Also for cross-platform projects needing Windows
> support Mercurial is (at this moment) probably a tiny bit less
> problematic. If you work in a completely UNIX-centered environment, Git
> might be the slightly better choice. However, both systems work very
> well, are stable and very, very fast. So it's a tie, more or less."

For what it's worth, despite being a linux fanboy myself obviously ;-),
considering the wider eCos community is a priority. And as such, usability
on Windows is a concern for me with git. And it's overall learning curve
(the "it just works" above) inherent to its design. I would slightly
prefer something that disenfranchised the small number of elite power
users to something that disenfranchised a much larger number of less
experienced users.

After all, one of the reasons for the popularity of CVS is its simplicity.
Talking about octopus merges with an eCos n00b is not going to get people
very far.

Of course one of the joys of DRCS's is the now-widespread ability to sync
and mereg in from other repositories using a different DRCS. That's
another reason why the power users will be able to get by. It also means
that the real decision is indeed probably going to be with the maintainers
as the ones who have to consider the wider eCos userbase as well as being
the ones that definitely have to interact with that particular VCS.

The discussions so far seem have been a bit ad hoc. I'd like to bring them
more on track. I personally agree with Alex's view that the choice of VCS
is probably between Git, Hg, and Bzr. If anyone would like to suggest SVN,
Arch or something more exotic, it's time to speak up.

Then we can do specific head-to-head comparisons between the three, which
is tractable.