[ECOS] Re: What's the process on switching version control system for eCos?

Sergei Organov osv@javad.com
Tue Sep 22 15:00:00 GMT 2009

Øyvind Harboe <oyvind.harboe@zylin.com> writes:

>>  b) how much history can we expect to lose, irrespective of the
>>     amount of effort put in?
>
> And c) given that the *entire* repository will be replicated to everybody
> who wants to clone the eCos repository, how big do we really want
> the repository to be?
>
> the distributed source control systems allow the repository to be
> downloaded as a single huge file, so even if the repository size is
> in the hundreds of megabytes, it's not *too* bad if you are blessed
> with fiber...
>
> I haven't heard any guestimates on the expected git repository
> size(I don't know of a significant difference in repository size
> efficiency between the various systems).

IMHO, eCos is not that big to worry about the size of the repository,
provided huge binary images are not put into the repository.

[But yes, git is very efficient at compressing of its data.]

-- Sergei.