[ECOS] eCos VCS switch

Jonathan Larmour jifl@jifvik.org
Thu Sep 17 21:15:00 GMT 2009

Alex Schuilenburg wrote:

>>A switch of the public CVS repository to Mercurial would be a major
>>improvement.
>>

> Agreed.  My initial findings are also that mercurial is the preferred
> solution.  It is not as powerful as git, or even as fast,

By "more powerful", do you mean git allows you to do anything of
significance that hg/bzr doesn't? I didn't think there was from my own
checking, but I'm prepared to be corrected.

Or by any chance do you mean that it's more powerful/fast if you have the
ability to remember which of the gazillion different git commands to use
with precisely which set of arcane options. Then it's a speedy one-liner!

Personally I would need a lot of convincing to use git. Or more precisely,
to make the eCos community with its breadth of users with varying
experience do so. I think it would raise the bar to using eCos in a very
negative way.

The only thing that might ameliorate it would be something like
http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/ but it seems like early days for
that, I'm not impressed by their webpage, it seems to have restricted
capabilities (but I may well be wrong on this count), and at best it's
playing catch-up with the others.