[ECOS] CPU affinity in eCos

Nick Garnett nickg@ecoscentric.com
Wed Oct 14 10:40:00 GMT 2009

Archana Sastry <sastry.archana@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am a newbie to eCos, and I am trying to bind my thread to a
> particular processor (sort of Hard CPU affinity). I need this
> capability for some kind of deterministic testing. I have gone through
> a previous post on the ecos-discuss mailing list dated: 02-14-2007,
> title: pthread processor binding.
>
> For this, I have looked at the sched.cxx and sched.hxx files. Could
> anyone please provide me with a few pointers regarding this, as in
> what functions I should be looking into if it is possible with minimal
> change to the kernel.

Processor affinity only makes sense for an SMP system. SMP support in
eCos is experimental and incomplete. It has not been maintained and
has probably suffered from bitrot, application and device driver
support are rudimentary. Given that, worrying about more advanced
features such as CPU affinity is somewhat premature.

I don't know what your target hardware is, but if it involves multiple
CPUs, eCos is probably not currently the right OS to use for it.

--
Nick Garnett                                       eCos Kernel Architect
eCosCentric Limited    http://www.eCosCentric.com       The eCos experts