[ECOS] NAND framework

Jonathan Larmour jifl@jifvik.org
Fri Oct 2 15:36:00 GMT 2009

Regarding the NAND flash driver framework announcement:

   http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss/2009-08/msg00057.html

some issues need to be clarified.

After further in-depth consideration, we now realise that this decision
was premature. There was inadequate discussion devoted to any technical
basis for the decision and the rationale behind that, including the
opportunity for corrections from the contributors, the full maintainer
team, and the rest of the community.

Also we need to clarify that the full maintainer team should have been
involved in the discussion. There was no intention by anyone to imply that
any of the maintainers, whoever they are employed by, have not been acting
in the best interests of eCos users. Any impression to the contrary given
by the earlier mail was unintentional. It is a well-understood requirement
of being an eCos maintainer that all must act independently from their
employers. Maintainers do not act on their employer's behalf. Should there
be a possibility of a conflict of interest, the maintainers will look at
each case on its own merits.

All the maintainers would also like to apologise to Rutger for the
premature announcement, and thank him for his patience, and in return we
intend to finish a technical evaluation rapidly to end the uncertainty.
This evaluation will be discussed on the public lists this time to allow
everyone interested an opportunity to contribute.

Jifl, on behalf of the eCos maintainers