[ECOS] Why is FreeBSD TCP/IP missing BPF?

Tarmo Kuuse tarmo.kuuse@mail.ee
Mon May 18 16:05:00 GMT 2009

Hi!

I noticed that Berkeley Packet Filter (BPF) has been carefully removed
from the FreeBSD TCP/IP stack. I assume there is a good reason for it.
Was it deemed unnecessary or too resource-hungry, or did porting require
too much effort?

I plan to implement IPv4LL which requires reading and writing ARP
packets (i.e. direct access to link layer). As previously discussed on
this list, no interface to link layer currently exists. More skilled
eCos users seem to merrily hack together various custom solutions.

BPF appears to be a good interface to link layer. Before creating some
hack of my own, could somebody please give a bit of background as to why
it has been discarded?

--
Kind regards,
Tarmo Kuuse