[ECOS] Re: Synthetic target on linux x86_64 host

Tarmo Kuuse tarmo.kuuse@mail.ee
Sun May 3 19:30:00 GMT 2009

Andrew Lunn wrote:
>>> I don't think so. Synth calls kernel system calls directly, using
>>> assembly language. I expect this part needs re-writing into 64 bit
>>> code.
>> That is a bit surprising - I assumed the synthetic target was just
>> another application from the compiler's side.
>
> From the compiler, yes, its just an application. However because eCos
> has a libc, you cannot use the native libc as the interface to the
> native kernel. You have to call the kernel directly. Hence the system
> call issues.
>
>> I don't know anything about the x86 or (shudder) x86-64 bowels and would
>> prefer to live a long and sane life by keeping it that way :)
>
> Then take a look at x86 emulators which you can run on 32 bit more on
> top of a 64 bit system. eg http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

I now have a 32-bit Debian system running inside VirtualBox on my 64-bit
Debian system. Synthetic target works as expected, host tools for
Ethernet can be built, etc.

I suspected it would end up like this when starting...

--
Kind regards,
Tarmo Kuuse