[ECOS] Re: Synthetic target on linux x86_64 host

Tarmo Kuuse tarmo.kuuse@mail.ee
Sat May 2 21:44:00 GMT 2009

Andrew Lunn wrote:
>> Can synthetic target even be built with native x86_64 tools?
>
> I don't think so. Synth calls kernel system calls directly, using
> assembly language. I expect this part needs re-writing into 64 bit
> code.

That is a bit surprising - I assumed the synthetic target was just
another application from the compiler's side.

Anyway it is good to have a clear answer. Thanks.

> Also, eCos is very much used on 32 bit systems. I don't know of
> anybody using it on 64 bit systems. You are bound to run into problems
> with assumptions that sizeof(int)==4 etc. However synth probably is a
> good platform to find and fix some of these, once you have done the
> basic HAL port.

I don't know anything about the x86 or (shudder) x86-64 bowels and would
prefer to live a long and sane life by keeping it that way :)

--
Kind regards,
Tarmo Kuuse