[ECOS] Disk I/O -> scheduling problems

Szentirmai Gergely reg@t-online.hu
Fri May 1 16:19:00 GMT 2009

Paul D. DeRocco Ă­rta:
>> From: Szentirmai Gergely [mailto:gergely.szentirmai@axelero.hu]
>>
>> Paul D. DeRocco Ă­rta:
>>
>>>   Does the existing MCI driver do the
>>> entire sector transfer without using any interrupts?
>> No, but it polls for the result. This is what could be modified to the
>> code here, I have posted.
>>
>> Here comes the thing which is not clear. Examine this code (perhaps an
>> eCos-recommended solution, is it?):
>>  >>              cyg_drv_dsr_lock();
>>  >>              {
>>  >>                  while (!spi_bus->transfer_end)
>>  >>                      cyg_drv_cond_wait(&spi_bus->transfer_cond);
>>  >>              }
>>  >>              cyg_drv_dsr_unlock();
>>
>> spi_bus->transfer_cond is set by an interrupt. Until the operation is
>> not finished, dsr-s are locked.
>>
>> I have found my answer, what is the difference between these
>> implementations:
>> http://osdir.com/ml/ecos.general/2003-03/msg00178.html
>> DSR locking works in a per-thread basis. So
>> cyg_drv_cond_wait(&spi_bus->transfer_cond); would trigger a task switch.
>>
>> Thank you for your help!
>> Gergely Szentirmai
>>
>>> But in this chip the MCI interface can transfer a sector via the PDC,
>>> so this shouldn't be necessary. You may have to start from
>>> scratch and write
>>> a better MCI driver that uses DMA and an interrupt at the end.
>> It do use it.
>
> Since you earlier said that you poll for the result, I assume you mean here
> that you use DMA but not an interrupt. If so, then all you have to do is
> have a null ISR that just schedules a DSR, have the DSR signal a condition
> variable, and use the same sort of code that the SPI driver uses. Then, your
> MCI driver will work in a manner similar to the SPI driver, and they'll
> happily interleave the initiation and completion of their respective
> transfers.

The code polled for the completition only, the transfare is handled by
DMA and interrupts. So I needed that SPI driver code-part in the
function which had to block. The reason why I wrote this letter, because
I did not know how could it work, until I found that discussion I've
linked in. (the dsr locking per thread thing)

I have done the modification, it is working ok now!

Thanks for the help!
Gergely