[ECOS] Debugging Thumb code

John Dallaway john@dallaway.org.uk
Fri Mar 20 15:18:00 GMT 2009

Hi Ilija and Sergei

Many thanks for your eCos 3.0 beta 1 testing reports.

I wonder if you're also able to check for correct debugging of eCos
applications built for Thumb? Since one of you is using a big-endian ARM
target and the other a little-endian ARM target you can together provide
good coverage.

For avoidance of doubt:

a) eCos should build for Thumb on ARM architecture simply by enabling
CYGHWR_THUMB. I strongly recommend using a completely new build tree and
enabling CYGHWR_THUMB before invoking make for the first time.

b) The standard build of RedBoot should support debugging of both ARM
and Thumb applications. You do not need to rebuild RedBoot.

If you're able to confirm the correct operation of Thumb breakpoints,
single stepping and backtraces in a simple application which runs in a
loop such as the "twothreads" example application this would be very
helpful. You can build the twothreads example as follows:

  cd /opt/ecos/ecos-3.0b1/examples
  make twothreads INSTALL_DIR=/path/to/ecos-build/install

John Dallaway