[ECOS] TAP device not created on running "ping_test"

Sergei Gavrikov sergei.gavrikov@gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 10:22:00 GMT 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 03:45:09PM +0530, Mandeep Sandhu wrote:

> Whats this other address that the test uses??? 10.1.1.33?

IMO, that bogus IP just to demo that the dest in unreachable. So, test
passed okay. I think you hit ^C too early in dhclient window :-)

> One more thing...can you verify my understanding of this works
> with ecos (i.e the dhcp/ping test)
>
> * The ecos app sends packets via ecos-hal
> * ecos hal in-turn uses the ecossynth/rawether process to send the
>   packet out.
> * The rawether process essentially opens /dev/tap0 (or maybe /dev/net/tun
>   with the correct ioctl) and writes the ether frame to it.
> * The Linux kernel rx's the frame over tap0 interface
> * The Linux nw stack responds to the packet (DHCP/ICMP) and sends out
>   the response over tap0.
> * When the Linux kernel writes the packet to tap0, the same data becomes
>   available on /dev/tap0 (or /dev/net/tun), which is picked up by rawether and
>   passed to the ecos process.
>
> Does this summarize the process correctly?

Perhaps, something likes this, but, I'm not expert here :-(

Sergei