[ECOS] CYGNUM_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_PROTOCOL_RETRIES

Stanislav Meduna stano@meduna.org
Fri Jul 17 15:13:00 GMT 2009

Hi,

my application freezes when debugged and the debugger connection
is broken. Investigating what happened I found that if the
CYGNUM_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_PROTOCOL_RETRIES is zero,
the cyg_hal_diag_mangler_gdb_flush does CYGACC_COMM_IF_GETC
and waits indefinitely for an ack. If it is non-zero,
it waits the specified number of times and then continues.

The documentation says

   If it is set non-zero, then the target process will attempt
   to resend the $O packet data up to this number of retries.
   Caution: use of this option is not recommended as it can
   thoroughly confuse the host GDB process.

I'd recommend to change the wording to explain the behaviour.
Actually, this is number of tries, not retries, i.e.

0: wait indefinitely
1: send once,if failed, do not send again
2: retry max. once

Regards
--
                                           Stano