[ECOS] Installing Redboot on a pendrive

Alessio Bianchi venator85@gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 11:44:00 GMT 2009

On 07/11/2009 10:41 AM, Stanislav Meduna wrote:
> Alessio Bianchi wrote:
>> Hi, I've been trying to create a pendrive (to boot off a regular PC)
>> with Redboot, but unfortunately without much success.
>
> AFAIK on a PC the eCos only supports booting RedBoot from a floppy.
> If the pendrive can't masquerade itself as floppy to the
> machine (I happen to have one that can, but most can't),
> I think you are out of luck.
>
> The recommended way to boot eCos applications is via GRUB.

Thanks for your fast reply.
I tried putting GRUB on a pendrive and building eCos with the 'GRUB'
flag in the HAL section. I started from a 'net' template, and I built an
hello world application (prints hello world via printf), linking it to
the generated ecos library.
When I boot the pendrive, GRUB accepts the generated file, but when I
give GRUB the 'boot' command, just a black screen appears (I waited
several minutes).
What I'm doing wrong?
Thanks ;)