[ECOS] eCos 3.0 beta 1 now available for download

Rutger Hofman rutger@cs.vu.nl
Tue Feb 24 15:45:00 GMT 2009

John Dallaway wrote:
> On behalf of the eCos maintainers, I am pleased to announce that the
> eCos 3.0 beta 1 release is now available for download.

> Both eCos and the pre-built toolchains may be downloaded and installed
> by following the instructions provided at:
>
>   http://ecos.sourceware.org/getstart.html
>
> Following installation, please refer to the release notes at
> ecos-3.0b1/README.txt for details of known issues in this release.
>
> Thank you for your on-going support of eCos.

I downloaded eCos from CVS and cvs updated to tag ecos-v3_0-branch.
Since my build system relies on command-line ecosconfig, I then
configured and built the host tools (in a separate directory) from
~ECOS/host/ without problems.

My eCos setup (one of the two) is the BlackFin port from the Univ
Chemnitz, extended by me to other BlackFin CPUs and DevKits. I copied
all BlackFin-related packages into the 3.0 tree, and my beta NAND flash
and YAFFS packages. I compiled and built for EZ-Kit BF548 which includes
  YAFFS/NAND. I ran into exactly one problem: YAFFS requires chmod(), so
I diff/patched that from my usual eCos checkout into eCos 3.0, see
attached patch.

Then I built and ran the fileio1 test for YAFFS2. All went without problems.

Then I built the libs for my application, RFID Guardian
(http://www.rfidguardian.org). I built the file system traversal
executable for it, which uses threads, interrupt-driven serial port, and
all kinds of file IO. All went well.

This obviously isn't an exhaustive test, but it shows that threads,
serial port interrupts, my newer packages etc work well without any
adaptation (except addition of chmod()).

Compiler: custom-built from svn from uCLinux/Bfin:
> bfin-elf-gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 (ADI svn)

Host system:
$ uname -a
Linux athlon 2.6.24-23-generic #1 SMP Mon Jan 26 00:13:11 UTC 2009 i686
GNU/Linux
Ubuntu-Hardy

Rutger Hofman
VU Amsterdam