[ECOS] Interrupt vs Thread - shared resource

Szentirmai Gergely gergely.szentirmai@axelero.hu
Thu Feb 12 18:10:00 GMT 2009

Guys, thank you for your answers!

Scheduler lock is an alternative to mask the interrupt, but masking the
specific interrupt (or lock the specific DSR) is maybe better in
performance, but too application specific (code reuse).
As I read the scheduler manual:
"However there is one situation where locking the scheduler is
appropriate: if some data structure needs to be shared between an
application thread and a DSR associated with some interrupt source, the
thread can use the scheduler lock to prevent concurrent invocations of
the DSR and then safely manipulate the structure."
It writes the same thing.

So there are two possible solution only; lock the scheduler, or mask the
interrupt.
Programatically I think both solution are not "pretty" enough, because I
have to write procedures, that bother with these "hacks" (they are not
high level enough), rather than use a mutex, but this is an eCos
conceptional problem (what a shame, not too user-friendly), I think...

Thank you for this dsr_lock idea too!

Gergely Szentirmai