[ECOS] Re: "Plug-and-play" networking in eCos

Tarmo Kuuse tarmo.kuuse@mail.ee
Thu Apr 23 11:20:00 GMT 2009

Chris Holgate wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
>>> No replies. Apparently plug-and-play is not hip with eCos
>>> developers :)
>> No, I just have no idea what "plug-and-play networking" means
>> in this context.
>>
>> To me, "plug-and-play" refers to a mostly-broken scheme to
>> auto-detect ISA cards in old-school PCs and configure their IO
>> addresses and IRQ usage automagically.  IIRC, it didn't work.
>
> The PnP TLA has subsequently been overloaded and extended to give UPnP,
> which is what I think the original question was about.  See:
>
> http://www.upnp.org/
>
> I agree with the OP that it would be a useful addition to eCos to
> include support for device-side UPnP, since this is now a pretty
> standard feature on networked consumer gadgets.

Sorry for the confusion. I was talking about the concept, not any
specific technology with a trademark name.

Gadgets with Ethernet should just work. If a network is without
infrastructure (no DHCP, no DNS, no nothing), user should not configure
anything to make it work. It's the only solution for non-IT people.

User takes eCos device out of box, turns it on. User connects his laptop
with the device (or a network of those devices). User starts Firefox,
types the address "http://mygadget" and the web interface comes up.

This requires solving two simple problems:

1. Devices self-assign IP addresses (see [RFC3927])
2. Devices provide limited name resolution (see SMB [RFC1001], mDNS or
LLMNR [RFC4795])

I was just probing if anybody had done this before.

The UPnP is for much more difficult problems.

--
Kind regards,
Tarmo Kuuse