[ECOS] Re: "Plug-and-play" networking in eCos

Tarmo Kuuse tarmo.kuuse@mail.ee
Wed Apr 22 13:36:00 GMT 2009

Tarmo Kuuse wrote:
> I wish to add basic "plug-and-play" networking to an eCos device. It
> should be a fairly standard task in network-enabled embedded devices.
> All users would like to hook their stuff to a network and access the UI
> by typing "mydevice" into a browser.

No replies. Apparently plug-and-play is not hip with eCos developers :)

> The ancient NetBIOS protocol specifies how a host auto-assigns a name
> and resolves name queries into it's own IP. Newer solutions have emerged
> these days (zeroconf's mDNS) but it is not implemented in older systems
> (such as WinXP).

FYI: there exists an embeddable SMB server called AzSmb (GPL):
http://members.inode.at/anton.zechner/az/AzSmb.en.htm

First impression: lean but functional (does name resolution,
authentication and file sharing). Code is nicely structured, readable
and commented. A bit of general & API documentation exists.

Currently supported OS is On-Time RTOS-32 (and Linux, and Windows).
However, code is simple C++ (no exceptions or STL) and calls to
underlying system are all wrapped. It needs only threads, TCP/IP stack,
malloc, file system. Porting to eCos might not be difficult.

Maybe this helps people save some effort in future. I'll just try to
hack together a minimal NMB name broadcast, because that's all I need
(and I don't know enough about eCos to do any serious porting).

--
Kind regards,
Tarmo Kuuse