[ECOS] Red-Boot & Multiple Flash IC's

sebastian igielski sebastian.igielski@kolporter.com.pl
Wed Sep 3 11:51:00 GMT 2008


Hi!

Sorry for my simple questions but generally I'm a hardware engineer and 
I have little experience with red-boot and ecos environment. I search 
for the solution over the archive of this mailing list, and a few people 
says when I have multiple flash IC's I must include second instance of 
flash driver. Anybody can help me a little? Show the right path or place 
to search right solution?

with greetings
Sebastian Igielski

sebastian igielski pisze:
> Hi!
>
> We have porting Red-Boot to our platform based on EP9302 
> microprocessor (produced by Cirrus Logic, ARM920T core inside). I have 
> one question about using multiple flash IC's connected to different 
> chip selects, uut at first I must tell something about our hardware 
> platform.
>
> In a few words, we have on board following IC's:
>
> 1x MCU: EP9302 (ARM920T core, 16 bit wide data bus)
> 4x SDRAM (one SDRAM chip have 32Mbyte capacity, four banks - [8MBytes 
> per bank]) - Total: 128Mbytes of RAM
> 2x NOR FLASH (JS28F1283D) (connected to two separate chip selects) 
> (The NOR flash chips is Intel-Strata FLASH IC's.)
>
> One NOR-FLASH chip have 16-bit data bus. The NOR-Flash chips is placed 
> at 0x6000_0000 and 0x7000_0000 in physical memory layout. After 
> configuring and enabling the MMU the NOR-Flash chips is mapped as 
> follows (virtual address space):
>
> IC #1: 0x6000_0000 - 0x60FF_FFFF
> IC #2: 0x6100_0000 - 0x61FF_FFFF
>
> And now is my question about Red-Boot environment. It is possible to 
> (and how to do it) use both NOR flash chips?
> Now I have working only one chip (placed at virtual address: 
> 0x6000_0000-0x60FF_FFFF).
>
> I have no idea how to tell Red-Boot/Strata Flash driver to see my 
> second NOR-Flash chip. It is possible to RedBoot handle this kind of 
> hardware configuration?
>
> Some people told me that I must modify the "CYGNUM_FLASH_DEVICES", but 
> in my humble opinion this variable defines the FLASH IC's needed to 
> coverage the data bus by multiple FLASH IC's (for example: when I have 
> 32 bit wide data bus, and when I have two 16 bit FLASH IC's to 
> coverage 32-bit data bus - in that case CYGNUM_FLASH_DEVICES must be 
> set to 2). I'm correct?
>
> In our hardware the data bus is 16-bit wide and FLASH IC is 16 bit 
> wide (so one flash chip coverage all data bus), the second FLASH IC is 
> used to extend size of flash memory size. As i written above, I have 
> working first FLASH CHIP. And I don't know to add second chip to 
> RedBoot environment.
>
> If anybody can suggest me right solution of my problem, or give any 
> helpful idea I will be graceful.
>
> I have ecos-2.0 package.
>
> with regards
> Sebastian Igielski
>
>


-- 
Sebastian Igielski
tel. kom. 510-031-061
tel. +48(22) 632-89-95
fax. +48(41) 346-03-97

Kolporter Info S.A. - oddziaÂł Mazowiecki ul. Wolska 84/86
01-141 Warszawa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kolporter Info S.A. w Kielcach, 25-528 Kielce, ul.  ZagnaĂąska 61,
wpisana do Rejestru PrzedsiĂŞbiorcĂłw prowadzonego przez SÂąd Rejonowy
w Kielcach WydziaÂł X Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru SÂądowego pod
numerem KRS 0000020108, o kapitale zakÂładowym w wysokoÂści 500 000 PLN,
w caÂłoÂści wpÂłaconym, posiadajÂącÂą numer NIP: 959-14-86-133.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


-- 
Before posting, please read the FAQ: http://ecos.sourceware.org/fom/ecos
and search the list archive: http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss



More information about the Ecos-discuss mailing list