[ECOS] YAFFS2 software license and eCOS software license compatiable?

Jürgen Lambrecht J.Lambrecht@televic.com
Mon Oct 27 20:43:00 GMT 2008

Rutger Hofman wrote:
> Jürgen Lambrecht wrote:
>
>> Andrew Lunn wrote:

>>> It depends on how you define compatible.
>>>
>>> YAFFS2 CVS is as far as i understand GPL.
>>>
> [snip]
>
>>> For many commercial application of eCos this is not wanted. YAFFS has
>>> a solution to this problem. You can pay some money and get a copy of
>>> YAFFS which is not GPL, it has some other commercial license. See the
>>> YAFFS website.
>>>

>> Indeed. We will probably pay for YAFFS.
>> But is it not possible to put the YAFFS "interface code" into ecos? :
>> - HW interface code in /devs/flash/nand and /devs/flash/[arm]/[eb9260]
>> - file system "interface" functions
>>  a sort of yaffs_ecos.c , just like fs/jffs2/../fs-ecos.c
>>

> I am working on this (announced on the list ca. a month ago). Work on
> NAND Flash stuff is in the testing phase, with my BlackFin NAND Flash
> Controller and an ST-Micro chip. Currently there is support for multiple
> controllers, multiple chips, code for erase block, read/write page, bad
> block query/mark, and under the hood a Bad Block Table that aims to be
> compatible with MTD's, and ECC that also aims to be compatible.
>
> This week, I have been typing at yaffs/2 support in the manner you
> suggest. My assumption is that the yaffs *API* alone shouldn't be GPL.

indeed, if we are carefull, like Andrew also mailed.
> When we are satisfied with stress tests, we will release both packages
> (NAND Flash and yaffs wrapper) to eCos.
>
> That said, I have only one (soon 2) platforms, both BlackFin, and only
> large-page nand chips. I would really like to support and test more
> controllers and small-page nand chips (their command set is partly
> different). But testing is impossible for me because I don't have these
> other platforms. So I would welcome cooperation.
>
> Rutger

Hello Rutger,

we want to cooperate; how do you see it done?
I suppose you mail your latest code to us, and that we integrate it into
our ecos (we have a copy of a recent ecos in our CVS, 20080704), and
then test it on our board. Our board has this nand flash:
"MT29F2G08AADWP-ET:D 256MB 3V3 NAND FLASH", and an Atmel ARM9:
AT91SAM9260 and 16MB SDRAM.
Then we need your YAFFS "interface code" as mentioned above, and also
the YAFFS2 code itself. (We have already the latest YAFFS2 code from
yaffs-cvs.)

Kind regards,
Jürgen