[ECOS] YAFFS2 software license and eCOS software license compatiable?

Rutger Hofman rutger@cs.vu.nl
Fri Oct 24 17:05:00 GMT 2008

Jürgen Lambrecht wrote:
> Andrew Lunn wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 07:23:24AM -0700, Tim michals wrote:
>>
>>> Is the YAFFS2 software license compatible with eCOS license?
>>>

>> It depends on how you define compatible.
>>
>> YAFFS2 CVS is as far as i understand GPL.
[snip]
>> For many commercial application of eCos this is not wanted. YAFFS has
>> a solution to this problem. You can pay some money and get a copy of
>> YAFFS which is not GPL, it has some other commercial license. See the
>> YAFFS website.
>>
> Indeed. We will probably pay for YAFFS.
> But is it not possible to put the YAFFS "interface code" into ecos? :
> - HW interface code in /devs/flash/nand and /devs/flash/[arm]/[eb9260]
> - file system "interface" functions
>  a sort of yaffs_ecos.c , just like fs/jffs2/../fs-ecos.c

I am working on this (announced on the list ca. a month ago). Work on
NAND Flash stuff is in the testing phase, with my BlackFin NAND Flash
Controller and an ST-Micro chip. Currently there is support for multiple
controllers, multiple chips, code for erase block, read/write page, bad
block query/mark, and under the hood a Bad Block Table that aims to be
compatible with MTD's, and ECC that also aims to be compatible.

This week, I have been typing at yaffs/2 support in the manner you
suggest. My assumption is that the yaffs *API* alone shouldn't be GPL.

When we are satisfied with stress tests, we will release both packages
(NAND Flash and yaffs wrapper) to eCos.

That said, I have only one (soon 2) platforms, both BlackFin, and only
large-page nand chips. I would really like to support and test more
controllers and small-page nand chips (their command set is partly
different). But testing is impossible for me because I don't have these
other platforms. So I would welcome cooperation.

Rutger