[ECOS] eCosCentric Cortex-M port contribution

Nick Garnett nickg@ecoscentric.com
Tue Oct 7 17:03:00 GMT 2008

As some of you may know, eCosCentric have been working on a Cortex-M
port for eCos for a while. This has now reached a reasonably stable
state and is currently running through tests in our test farm.

We have decided to contribute the basic packages to anoncvs.  This
will provide a working Cortex-M base on which the community can
further develop their own custom hardware ports.

The packages I intend to contribute are as follows:

Architecture HAL
STM32 Variant HAL
STM3210E-EVAL Platform HAL
USART serial driver
On-Chip FLASH driver (V2 flash interface)

In addition there are a number of toolchain issues that need to be
addressed. I discovered a potential problem the M3 implementation
which needs a compiler modification (ARM are currently still
evaluating the issue). GDB has some problems correctly supporting the
different layout of the CPSR register in the M processors. There are
also some GCC multilib issues that need sorting out.

The result of this is that we will release a specially patched version
of the ARM toolchain to go with the contribution.

All of this is in hand but not quite yet ready for contribution: the
toolchain work needs completing, and we want to get a few runs in on
the test farm to ensure there are no obvious problems before
contributing.

I expect this to take a couple of weeks more.

--
Nick Garnett                                      eCos Kernel Architect
eCosCentric Limited    http://www.eCosCentric.com      The eCos experts