[ECOS] Flash driver system updated

Jonathan Larmour jifl@eCosCentric.com
Sat Nov 22 15:44:00 GMT 2008

Sergei Gavrikov wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 06:06:04PM +0000, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>
>>The flash driver API has been updated, both for users of the flash
>>API, and for the interface between the generic flash layer and
>>underlying drivers.  Existing flash drivers (informally "flash v1"
>>drivers) are still supported in a legacy mode. While they will
>>continue to be supported in the upcoming eCos 3.0 release, the
>>intention is naturally to transfer as many ports as possible to use
>>flash v2 drivers.
>

> Does anybody plan to rework Intel 28FXXX ('v1')? I'm not expect in v2
> and want to ask, Is there known limitations or issue for this line? The
> driver is marked as 'legacy' in the latest ChangeLog entry. Is it the
> verdict?

28Fxxx is part of the Strataflash family and so the v1 driver is obsoleted
by the stratav2 driver.

>>For AM29xxxxx there is the PPC Adder HAL and for Strataflash, the
>>IXDP425 HAL. If you want to update your favourite targets before the
>>eCos 3.0 release, I recommend looking at that immediately (especially
>>if an FSF copyright assignment is likely to be required).
>
> Please, to explain
>
> find packages/devs/flash -type d -name \*v2 -printf %f\\n
> synthv2
> am29xxxxxv2
> stratav2
>
> Does this triplet mean 'all' for now? I understood so that we will have
> 3 bases of the version 2 eCos FLASH API? Is it right or I did miss
> something?

The synthv2 driver is for the synthetic target only. The AM29xxxxv2 driver
is for the whole AM29xxxxx family, and compatibles (of which there are
quite a few). The stratav2 driver is for the Intel Strataflash family. The
strataflash docs mention (some of) the parts covered, so that's probably
good to look at.

>>For those wishing to update their targets, there is plenty of
>>documentation in the generic package, and also within the AM29xxxxx
>>and Strataflash driver packages if using those parts. You will also
>>find concrete usage examples around the place for each driver. e.g.
>

> Here http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/ref/io-flash.html is out
> dated chapter 26 only. It's need to build documentation from CVS
> sources.

Yes, hence pointing people to the docs in the package. I thought eCos 3.0
should be soon enough, but it's no big deal to build the HTML docs, so
I've just updated the ref manual on the website. I'll save the PDFs to
eCos 3.0.