[ECOS] Re:Re: free GUI for eCOS

Simon Kallweit simon.kallweit@intefo.ch
Wed Nov 19 11:09:00 GMT 2008

So you basically need a framebuffer and some drawing routines to draw a
graph (your signal). Then you need some text output as well as probably
a few very simplistic UI elements (dropdown). With 32K RAM I would just
go and write these few routines myself. Simple line drawing and text
output as well as some framebuffer handling should be enough. The UI for
configuration can then be made with simple text output.

I guess code wise, you got plenty of memory (512K), but you cannot use
flash memory for a framebuffer or anything dynamic, as flash is fast to
read but slow to write. What kind of display do you have, and how is it
attached to your hardware? Does the display come with it's own
framebuffer and is attached with something like SPI or is it attached to
a display controller on the board, so the framebuffer would have to be
in local memory? For a 320x240x8bit framebuffer you need 75K of RAM,
make this 1bit and its still 9.4K, do the maths.

If your controller permits, you can of course attach external RAM, but I
don't know what your possibilities are, as all you say is quite vague.
You need to think a bit more about what you have, what you want, and
what you need to get there.

Simon