[ECOS] Re: Migrating away from CVS

simon.kallweit@intefo.ch simon.kallweit@intefo.ch
Wed Nov 5 08:46:00 GMT 2008

Daniel Helgason wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 13:49 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> Nobody I know cares about the configtool.  Does anybody who's
>> working on a real eCos project (e.g. not something for school
>> or evaluation purposes) use the graphical tool?
>>

> We do. In fact, we've only used the command-line tool for scripted
> building, not configuration.

I do it in the exact same way.

> We put a lot of CPU and SOC configuration items in CDL packages. We find
> some of the complex items have dependencies and interactions that are
> difficult to discover and manage unless the data is presented in a
> visual, hierarchical manner the way the configtool does.

Using the configtool for "exploration" is quite nice, I use it all the
time. It might be that when I will have some years of experience using
eCos, I will have most of that memorized and will not use it as much as
I do now.

> PS. Kudos to John Dallaway and his work on the configtool experimental
> build for GTK+ 2.x on Linux. It looks great!

About multiple repositories. The way I currently do it, is using a
little wrapper shell script, which "merges" the different repositories
into one (using fusionfs) and then acts on this merged repository. This
is quite a hack, but it works, and let's me use the configtool with
multiple repos. Clean support in the configtool would still be great I
guess, but I haven't had a look at how much work it is.

Simon