[ECOS] Problem with loader call using arm-elf-gcc

Robert Brusa bob.brusa@gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 15:39:00 GMT 2008

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 16:22:20 +0200, Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> wrote:

>>     > arm-elf-gcc -g  -nostartfiles -Wl,--gc-sections
>>     > -T"../at91lib/boards/at91sam7x-ek/at91sam7x256/flash.lds" -o
>>     > bin/My5-at91sam7x256-flash.elf obj/board_cstartup.o obj/main.o
>>     > obj/stdio.o obj/dbgu.o obj/pio.o obj/board_memories.o
>>     > obj/board_lowlevel.o
>>
>> You are using the wrong argument to arm-elf-gcc: you should use
>> -nostdlib, not -nostartfiles. In the absence of -nostdlib the linker
>> will try to use the standard newlib C library instead of eCos, and
>> that library has been stripped from the eCos toolchain build to reduce
>> the download size. You also appear to be using a non-eCos linker
>> script, which will also cause problems. Please read the eCos User's
>> Guide to find out how applications should be linked with eCos.
>
> Hi Bart
>
> He is not using eCos, just the eCos toolchain. I'm guessing he wanted
> a prebuild ARM toolchain and stumbled upon the eCos one and tried to
> use it for his application.
>
>     Andrew

Hi Andrew and Bart
both of you are right. I plan to go for eCOS, but firstly I want to build,
run and debug a simple program. Just to make sure these tools are doing
what I intend them to do. Read: That I understand how to handle these
tools. Obviously, the task is more intriguing than I anticipated :-(

Because Andrew said, that building a arm-elf-toolchain is not so
difficult, I am now doing exactly this. Firstly, I download gcc-4.3.0 from
a mirror site and now I am reading the instructions. It's not so simple
either..... :-(  Actually I had to install quite a few new things and in
some cases, the tools provided by aptitude are not up to the job, because
they are of an older version. I installed them anyway, but will probably
have to come back to this issue. I am going on with good hope.....
thank you and best regards robert