[ECOS] Problem when debugging via gdb over ethernet

Guenter Ebermann guenter.ebermann@gmx.at
Thu Jun 5 15:38:00 GMT 2008

Gary Thomas wrote:
> Guenter Ebermann wrote:
>> However if I add a diag_printf between a eth_drv_start() and
>> eth_drv_stop() my system crashes again. Although I think this
>> situation is handled correctly in eth_io.c (the console and debug
>> interface in the redboot), because it reverts to the original
>> console if a ethernet write or read returned with failure.
>> I think this error is in the ethernet driver implementation (if_fec.c
>> MPC5200's FEC driver implementation) of my platform. Anyway,
>> I think we could live with this for now, because we can also handle
>> this at application level.
>
> Can you elucidate?  Where is this diag_printf() that causes the error?

I added the diag_printf after a call to eth_drv_stop() just to see if the RedBoot
ROMRAM debug stub can cope with this possible situation.
The same thing will happen if a application e.g. disables the ethernet interface
with an ioctrl.

> Where did you get the mpc5200 (if_fec.c) support?  It's not in the
> public tree...

We got it by buying an evaluation board called BOA board from Analog
and Micro to evaluate before building our own hardware.
It already comes with a ported eCos for the mpc5200. It seems the
ethernet driver if_fec.c was derived from another one written by
yourself, because it still contains "gthomas" in the copyright header :-).