[ECOS] Problem with loader call using arm-elf-gcc

Robert Brusa bob.brusa@gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 09:19:00 GMT 2008

Hi
I am using the arm-elf gnutools that come with ecos. To be precise: I
would like to use it, because there is an error message I were I am stuck.

I am running a Makefile from within Eclipse (3.3.2), the arm-elf-gcc is
3.2.1. The program I want to compile is a simple Hello World exercise. It
is - together with its Makefile - downloaded from ATMELs web site. I had
this same example on a windows XP PC using yagartos toolchain. It worked.
Now on my debian etch PC I get the following error message:

arm-elf-gcc -g  -nostartfiles -Wl,--gc-sections
-T"../at91lib/boards/at91sam7x-ek/at91sam7x256/flash.lds" -o
bin/My5-at91sam7x256-flash.elf obj/board_cstartup.o obj/main.o obj/stdio.o
obj/dbgu.o obj/pio.o obj/board_memories.o obj/board_lowlevel.o
/home/rwb/ecos/gnutools/arm-elf/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/arm-elf/3.2.1/../../../../arm-elf/bin/ld:
cannot find -lg
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [flash] Fehler 1

The sequence of the Makefile that causes this error is the following:

$(MEMORIES): $(ASM_OBJECTS) $(C_OBJECTS)
	$(CC) $(LDFLAGS) -T"$(AT91LIB)/boards/$(BOARD)/$(CHIP)/$@.lds" -o
$(OUTPUT)-$@.elf $^
	$(OBJCOPY) -O binary $(OUTPUT)-$@.elf $(OUTPUT)-$@.bin
	$(SIZE) $(ASM_OBJECTS) $(C_OBJECTS) $(OUTPUT)-$@.elf

I was not able to find out what this error message means. Furthermore,
when using the yagarto-toolchain, the gcc-calling commandline ended with
board_lowlevel.o and the it proceeded to the OBJCOPY-call.

Thank you and regards Robert