[ECOS] DHCP over multiple interfaces

Dave Lawrence dlawrence@ad-holdings.co.uk
Wed Jan 23 16:12:00 GMT 2008

I can't seem to get DHCP work over multiple interfaces.

The problem is that packets sent to 255.255.255.255 always
come out on eth1.

According to "TCP/IP Illustrated Volume 1" (Stevens)
section 12.2:
"Most BSD systems treat 255.255.255.255 as an alias
for the broadcast address of the first interface that
was configured"
and
"The Host Requirements RFC takes no stand on the issue of
whether a multihomed host should send a limited broadcast
out all its interfaces"

Not that sending the packets out to both interfaces would
be a solution either, because you could accept a lease from
the wrong network.  Currently if I have a DHCP server on the
eth1 network then eth0 will obtain its address from there.

Is it possible to configure more than one interface to use
DHCP?  If not, then how can I specify which interface
broadcasts 255.255.255.255 packets?