[ECOS] Looking in a future: VCS for eCos 3.0

Sergei Gavrikov sergei.gavrikov@gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 02:37:00 GMT 2008

Hello

It's possible it is an off-topic, but, looking in the nearest future of
eCos project http://sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss/2008-07/msg00057.html
I did think, It's possible, it is a good moment to change VCS (version
control system) for eCos development? A couple of years it was/is CVS.
The CVS has a well know limitations, and today, most of the developers
select Distributed VCS. The famous are bk, git, hg. ... I do not want
to fire the VCS flame here, but, if in the "eCos 3.0 planning" said

* Support for Microsoft Vista within the eCos host tools

Is it possible would you/we look on one multi-platform VCS? There is
such a Distributed VCS there. I talk about Bazaar http://bazaar-vcs.org/
There are a few nice and _short_ intros on it's frontpage.

Why the bazaar? At first, because the eCos FAQ did mention about :-)
http://ecos.sourceware.org/fom/ecos?_recurse=1&file=1#file_44 It is a
joke. Bazaar is young project and it seemed for me, it will be have a
good future, because, it is a Multi-platform and FREE VCS.

Most of the Windows users hate CLI, and you gave them eCos `configtool',
I remember about CLI magic on http://ecos.sourceware.org/anoncvs.html,
Bazaar developers offer a windows standalone installer and it is easy to
integrate the bazaar in windows explorer using Tortoise, for example:
http://bazaar-vcs.org/TortoiseBzr. (CLI guys can do no panic, bzr has
same CLI syntax as git or svn has).

Today, 2 main issues of bzr are known. The bazaar a bit more _slow_ than
git or hg, the bazaar is _young_ and less known than other (elder VCS)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_free_software_hosting_facilities
I can add third one, We have Tcl/Tk, we will have yet Python :-) But,
who knows... Should we look in a future?

Thanks,

    Sergei