[ECOS] garbage collect trigger

Jürgen Lambrecht J.Lambrecht@televic.com
Thu Apr 17 17:03:00 GMT 2008

Hello,

I don't really want to use the GC thread, but instead call GC from the
application when it is safe to do so and when there is time to do so.

My first idea (1) is to enable the GC thread, but set the GC ticks very
high, and call jffs2_garbage_collect_trigger(). But this is not an ecos
API function, also struct super_block is not available (both in
jffs2/../src/os-ecos.h).
Then I don't have to modifiy the GC code in ecos.

Another idea (2) is to modify the ecos GC code to add a callback to an
application function
  'bool gc_pass_allowed()'
and only do GC when the function returns true.

Now (3) I have changed jffs2_mount() to call
jffs2_garbage_collect_pass() #ifndef CYGOPT_FS_JFFS2_GCTHREAD.
But then mounting can take very long: normally it takes 15s to mount
55MB of data. But it can also take 120s after having deleted almost 2000
files... And we must boot within 1 minute.

We decided to select (1). But therefore I need os-ecos.h, so I need to
change ecos..
What do you think is the best approach?
All ideas are welcome.

Regards,