[ECOS] Are copyright assignments detrimental to eCos?

Jiri Gaisler jiri@gaisler.com
Mon Apr 7 13:17:00 GMT 2008

Alex Schuilenburg wrote:

> Anyway, nobody is trying to force you to contribute here. I am just
> trying to show you some of the benefits contributions can make to your
> users, the community as well as yourself. Your changes and improvements
> are yours to do with as you see fit, subject to licensing of course ;-)

I don't see the benefit to our users if there are two different versions
of our contribution, one in the anoncvs and one in the Pro. In such
case, I prefer to have our own fork where we have control over what
goes into our code modules and where we are able to support it.

The development model for kernels like RTEMS and linux seems more
reliable to me. There is only one code base and all testing, validation
and bug reporting is done on the same set of code. I believe this was also
the case for eCos as long as Cygnus maintained the code. Going back to
this model could in fact benefit eCos Pro, since it would create a much
larger user base for the Pro code, potentially finding more bugs and provide
more improvements. Just my 2 cents anyhow ...

Jiri.