[ECOS] Are copyright assignments detrimental to eCos?

Jiri Gaisler jiri@gaisler.com
Thu Apr 3 11:14:00 GMT 2008

Markus Schaber wrote:

> Additionally, our company has the policy that any substantial
> contribution must be copy-lefted, so no-one else can make closed-source
> derivates.
>
> Copyright assignment creates a single point of failure against
> closed-source derivates, weakening the copyleft.

I completely agree with Markus. We are hesitant to contribute our
leon2/3 port and drivers because we do not want to have closed-source
distributions (e.g. eCos Pro) using our code without contributing
back fixes or improvements. The ideal solution would be to license
the eCos code in LGPL. This would allow mixing proprietary applications
with the kernel, while force any improvements or bug fixes to be
published.

Jiri.