[ECOS] Question on serial ports

Scott Moore smoore@powerfile.com
Thu Sep 13 20:32:00 GMT 2007

Hi, I am working with a Keil MCB2300 board. I had a question on serial port
implementations.

Our installation was derived from the ARM/MCB2100 board which comes with
ECOS, using the lpc2xxx structures.

Included with the standard build is the diagnostic port haldiag, which is
layered as ttydiag. The hal for the board includes code to access both
ports, 0 and 1 on the board. However, the code does not appear to support
more than a single port at the device level. The code does not appear
to support interrupts, and uses the SERIAL_CHANNEL macro as opposed to
the SERIAL_CHANNEL_USING_INTERRUPTS macro. Basically it appears that
this installation was only designed to support a single diagnostics
serial port which doubles as a GDB access port.

under /packages/devs/serial, there is a directory for arm/lpc2xxx, but
it contains the single file arm_lpc2xxx_ser.inl, which appears to just
contain the headers for a possible driver. The functions defined in this
file don't appear to go anywhere, for example "pc_serial_init", etc.

The questions are:

1. Does this indeed indicate that a full (not diagnostic) serial port
implementation was never completed for the MCB2100 board?

2. What was the purpose of the directory
../packages/devs/serial/arm/lpc2xxx/..? Was this just a placeholder for
where a device might go?

Thank you,

Scott Moore
Powerfile