[ECOS] Adding xscale support to my eCos config

Mark Salter msalter@redhat.com
Wed Nov 14 14:13:00 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 14:30 +0100, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 08:19:46AM -0500, C B wrote:
> >

> > Coming from a long background developing Applications in Java to the
> > embedded world is quite a switch so please bear with me.  I've got
> > an eCos configuration working based on the latest from CVS for an
> > ARM9 based target from Atmel.  I've written simple applications in
> > C, linked against the eCos libs and successfully executed them on my
> > target.  So, my question: My target supports an extended DSP
> > instruction set (xscale).  I see an xscale package in the eCos I've
> > checked out but it is not clear to me how I get from my current eCos
> > configuration to one in which I can make calls from my C application
> > to make use of the xscale instruction set.  I would appreciate any
> > hints.  Thanks!
>
> Isn't this just a compiler issue? So long as the compile knows you are
> using an xscale with these extra instructions, it should use them.

If you are referring to the MMX-like extensions on some XScale cpus,
then a properly configured toolchain will support those instructions
via gcc's vector instruction extensions. A prebuilt toolchain with
these capabilities can be found at:

 ftp://ftp.ges.redhat.com/private/gnupro-xscale-030422

That's an old toolchain, but the necessary bits were all contributed
upstream.

--Mark