[ECOS] Project ideas for graduate course

Klaas Gadeyne klaas.gadeyne@fmtc.be
Tue Jul 31 11:17:00 GMT 2007

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 11:49:58AM +0200, Klaas Gadeyne wrote:
>> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Andrew Lunn wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Another idea would be to look at adding raw sockets to the TCP/IP
>>> stack and then maybe BPF/libpcap. Using RAW sockets is something that
>>> comes up every so often. The code was taken out of the stack when it
>>> was ported to eCos. I don't think it will be too hard to put it back
>>> in again and write some test programs, etc.
>>
>> FWIW, the eCos port of the EtherCAT master library
>> <http://ethercatmaster.berlios.de/>
>> would probably benefit from such raw socket support (and it would give
>> you a test case :-)
>
> IANAL, but i would want to take a close look at the license agreement
> before using this software.

Me neither, but put in human words, the license agreement is there to
ensure 'derived software' (as defined in GPL) stays compatible with
the (open) EtherCAT standard and assures you won't suffer from patent
claims in case it does.

> Also, it is GPL, which is probably not what you want.

Who do you mean with 'you'?
- IIRC the OP was asking for ideas for projects to be conducted by
graduate students, so I don't see why they would object agains the GPL.
- We (FMTC) wrote and open sourced the code
- As stated on the website, interested companies wishing to use this
   for closed products can obtain a LGPL version against a license fee.

Klaas