[ECOS] IPMI driver for KCS interface

jerzy dyrda jerzy.dyrda@kontron.pl
Wed Jul 11 12:33:00 GMT 2007

Hello Laurie,

> I'm not an IPMI expert, but it appears to me that IPMI is basically a
> communications protocol rather than a hardware driver.
> Is that how you view it?

Yes, IPMI as I suppose is in general method of comunication with Baseboard
Management Controller - BMC ( from side of System Management Software - SMS )
but KCS is kind of interface beetwen BMC and SMS (sorry for this stupid
shortcut but this is a part of IPMI terminology) and my doubts are connected
with method of comunication from user application to BMD through KCS driver.
IPMI specification defined other interfaces what force on developer
implementing universal interface to IPMI.

Best regards,
jezry