[ECOS] Re: Usefulness of CYGFUN_INFRA_EMPTY_DELETE_FUNCTIONS

Christopher Cordahi christopher.cordahi@gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 21:55:00 GMT 2007

On 07/02/07, osv@javad.com <osv@javad.com> wrote:

> [snip]
>
> With newer GCC it seems that the generated code indeed doesn't call the
> destructor that contains reference to external _ZdlPv, and then your
> observations are right.
>
> I have no idea when exactly GCC changed its behavior in this field, but
> it seems that those eCos option is only required for older GCC.

Apparently somewhere between GCC 2.95 and 3.2.1.

Since according to http://ecos.sourceware.org/build-toolchain.html
"It is recommended that eCos is built with GCC 3.2.1 at present.",
I would recommend that the default configuration take that into
consideration and by default have the destructors free the memory
as requested by the code.  The optimization to save some codespace
when used with a very old compiler should be something a user
explicitly requests.

--
Chris